Robotic Welding Systems Improve Productivity and Quality in Workshops
In the highly competitive heavy fabrication industry, a company’s competitive edge needs to be developed all the time. Robotic welding systems improve productivity and quality, providing the focus and optimization the company needs, to be more dynamic and deliver more value to the customer.
Robotic welding systems can be used to automize certain welding tasks and they offer several benefits over traditional welding methods, including improved accuracy, consistency, and efficiency. To operate a robotic welding system, operators program the robot’s movements and welding parameters using specialized software (PEMA WeldControl).
To raise the level of automation and improve overall productivity, welding manufacturing operations must be considered as a chain of process steps and should be arranged according to lean manufacturing principles.
When implementing factory automation, robot production cells are the basic building blocks for modern factories. The work steps that are time-consuming and no longer bring value to the production chain, are eliminated from the work chain as robots are put in work.
Benefits of complete robotic welding systems:
- Reliable pre-analysis: Virtual robotic solution design through 3D-modeling and simulation
- Typically achieved automation rate in welding from 50 to 80%
- Deposit rates up to 9 kg per automatic program running hour with only one MIG/MAG torch
- Systems can be utilized 24/7 and 8760 hours per year
- All components and services from one supplier
Complete robotic welding system: Anatomy
During the past decade, robotic welding has been one of the most increased industrial applications. Because of the flexibility and level of productivity that those solutions bring; robotic welding systems can be designed for one-off or mass production, large-reaching dimensions, and offline programming systems.
Typically, the robotic welding system consists of a workpiece handling solution and gantry (half portal) with one to three linear axis.
The robotic welding cell comes with suitable programming and cell control software systems that are chosen according to the machinery and production needs. Additionally, robotic welding process evaluation, proper safety equipment for the robotic cell, and machine life-cycle management services come as standard.
Each unit of the complete solution, such as handling equipment, welding process or the software system used, is analyzed and selected according to production requirements and customer needs.
Pemamek’s typical complete robotic system consists of a workpiece handling solution, a gantry (half portal) with one to three linear axis, PEMA WeldControl 300, CellControl, safety equipment, as well as welding process evaluation and machine life-cycle management services.
Modular robotic welding systems bring versatility
Effective and accurate workpiece handling is one of the most important parts of successful robot welding. When robotic welding cells are based on modular robot tracks and positioners, the design of the production cells can be optimized by selecting the most suitable handling module.
A 3D modeling of the robotic welding cell and welding reachability analysis verify the selected layout and draw the footprint of the cell.
5 steps to a successful implementation:
The saying “Well planned is half done” applies also when investing in a robotic welding system. When the real need and demand are defined, the solution can be better designed to meet the customer’s requirements. Also, fast ROI will be achieved.
- Thorough pre-design together with the supplier and purchaser.
- Possible design changes in the products for example changing groove geometry or groove preparation method.
- Welding process evaluation and modification into robotic welding.
- Tailored and thorough training for all the participants.
- Good level of maintenance and follow-up together with the supplier.
- Well-designed robotic welding cells equal more productivity, better safety, high competitiveness, and fast return on investment – when robotic solutions are implemented well, they enable highly adaptive and efficient production. Welding robotic solutions are proven to increase the quality of finished products as well as the satisfaction of customers.